Wednesday, October 5, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesdays

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go
Source

I abandoned this psychological thriller about 2/3rds of the way through.  If you remember from last week, I was struggling with really getting hooked into this book.  If you ask me, that's a pretty serious flaw in a thriller novel.  It's inherently supposed to get you wanting to read the next page and the next chapter as quickly as your hands can fly through the pages.  I found myself putting it down after each and every chapter in search of social media distraction.  Not good.

I can't really put a finger on why I didn't like it up until the event that had me say, Enough.  The characters were dynamic, the twist hit me like a falling piano, but I couldn't relate to anyone.  I guess I need that.  To have at least one likable, relatable character in the bunch.

If you want to see the event that finally convinced me that life is too short to read fiction that is too graphic, explicit, and dark for me, check out my Goodreads account.

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

The Paris Wife
Source

I know.  I know.  I am super late to the party for this one, but when you're a library goer, this tends to happen.

I'm around page 100.  I am enjoying it, but I don't have a sweet spot for the Roaring 20s.  Boozing, partying, and lazing around in near poverty to write seems fairly irresponsible to me.  However, Hadley, the wife of the infamous Ernest Hemingway, is a sweet narrator that I'm enjoying.

The writing itself is beautiful, easy, and I hope enough to keep me going through a book that would not be for me inherently based on the subject and characters.

Eyes Unveiled by Crystal Walton

Eyes Unveiled (Unveiled #1)
Source

I am reading this one on Kindle which is challenging for me.  I vastly prefer a physical copy of a book, but alas, this was the more economical option for me.

I just got through the initial, I'm not sure if this book is for me, blind date phase (the first 10 to 15 pages), and now I'm entranced with the characters.  They are so sweet and likable.  This cozy, contemporary romance is just want I need right now after some very discouraging reads.  I am excited to keep returning to this one even though it's on my phone.


What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! Funny that I'd never heard about Crystal Walton until 15 minutes ago and now twice! The book you mention and Write Me Home, which I just read about on another blog. I'm anxious to read something of hers now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to link up with other readers!

      Delete