Friday, October 7, 2016

Favorites on Friday

1.  This Slow Cooker Chicken, Bacon, and Potato Soup from Cooking Light

Slow Cooker Chicken, Bacon, and Potato Soup
Source

This is the second time I've made this recipe with a few alterations I'll note in just a moment, and my family devours it.  While it does take a little upfront time, morning prep is so much easier in my house than afternoon prep.  By the afternoon, both me and the little one are crankier and less motivated to do anything other than just play outside.  Slow cooker to the rescue.  In fact, I'm prepping a roast as I type.

I made a few alterations to make this recipe simpler.  Instead of a specific seasoning mixture that I am not going out to buy, my go to mixture is salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Woks like a charm.

I substituted onion for leek, because I buy a bag of onions every week.

I threw all the ingredients into the slow cooker at once and cooked on low most of the day.  The whole point of the slow cooker is 15 minutes of prep, throw it in the pot, and done!  Ready at dinner.  I'm not going to be fussing over it all day.

I also ditched the spinach.

2.  Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes from the Oh She Glows Every Day Edition of Angela Liddon's newest cookbook

Oh She Glows Every Day: Simply Satisfying Plant-Based Recipes to Keep You Glowing from the Inside Out
Source

While I don't always have tremendous success with her entrees, her breakfasts, smoothies, and desserts are on the mark every single time.

I made this cupcakes for the little's birthday a month ago, and they were heavenly.  I was thinking about them because my husband requested them for his birthday this weekend.

3. Best Cooking Tip

The Chew
Source

Since I seem to have a food theme going here - anyone else hungry? - I thought I'd stick with it.  On The Chew, Mario Batali suggested layering seasoning.  A big pitfall for my home cooking is lack of flavor.  He suggested that every time you add a new "layer" to your skillet or whathaveyou that you also add a pinch of salt.  Genius!  It has made such a difference in my humble kitchen.

What are your favorites this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment