Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Girl on the Train: Book Club

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins’ debut psychological thriller follows Rachel, a woman nearing rock bottom. She rides the commuter train to London every day so no one knows she lost her job, she’s a barely functioning alcoholic, and she is still pining for her cheating ex-husband. When she finds herself invested in the story of a missing local woman, she starts unraveling a chain of dangerous secrets — but no one will believe her.:


We all do it—actively watch life around us. In this way, with her own voyeuristic curiosity, Rachel Watson is not so unusual. What do you think accounts for this nosey, all-too-human impulse?”

I pulled this discussion question from the Penguin site.

It seems to me that this simple impulse, people watching as I’ve heard it so often called, might be diminishing.  In fact, it seems that many types of watching are being replaced with the accessibility of cell phones, tablets, and on the go internet.

Before you toss out that old smart phone, you should consider turning it into a home surveillance system.:
Source

Not to sound too school marmy but I remember car watching on long car trips or playing twenty questions even as an adult driving from LA to Monterey with my husband to pass the time.

Even now, I still sit in terribly uncomfortable airport lounge chairs, my book in my lap – ignored, watching people on their devices or getting to and fro with scenes of Love Actually playing in my head.

Travel tips that even an experienced traveller can use.:
Source

I’m sure things were not always better with less technology.  I am sure there are a thousand things that are better because of it.  However, I am an old stick in the mud that is continually questioning how much is too much.  You know, when I’m not typing up a blog post.  Insert winky smile here.


What do you think?  Is your cell phone your life saver when stuck out and needing a bit of diversion or is it distracting you from seeing the life that teems around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment