Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Nightingale: Book Review

The Nightingale


By Kristin Hannah

This was one of my all time favorite reads of 2015.  I read it when it first came out but am coming back to it now because Dead Wake and Gilead have slowed my progress down.  And this is a novel not to be missed.

Most of Hannah’s current works are excellent reads.  Her older novels are a little fluffier and generic, but I don’t miss any of her new novels.

The Nightingale was no exception.  It is about a family in France during WW2.  I’m already very inclined to love a WW2 historical novel, but this one had all the juicy tidbits that had me finish this novel in a record 2 days.  It also showed a side of the war I haven’t read much about.

The main characters of my novel are Rose and Jeremiah. Jeremiah's family emigrated to America from France in 1755.:
Source

There is such complexity to WW2 that many authors will swing to a heavy emphasis on the events of WW2.  While WW2 is important enough to this novel to be another character, Hannah never forgets her focus which is this family that is surviving occupied France.

This is a book I would widely recommend to anyone.


Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment