Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Light Between Oceans: Book Club

When Isabel and Tom find a baby Mose’s style – i.e. washed up on their banks – they decide to keep it.  Really, Isabel so desperately wants to keep the little girl that Tom goes along with it.  The rest of the novel takes the reader through the journey of this consequence.  What would you do?

Week 7: Bible Story Baby Moses Coloring Page
Source

I have a hard time relating to Isabel’s desperation.  I have been blessed.  When my husband and I decided to have our first child, I got pregnant easily and quickly with no dire threats to my or our little girl’s safety.  As I am getting older – just celebrated my 32nd birthday – I try to sidestep judgment on situations that I have little to no experience with. 

I don’t know what I would do in Isabel’s situation.  I would certainly have given the baby a loving home for as long as she needed, but I don’t know that I would have hidden it.

Dumbo:
Source

I do know that I wanted Tom to ask Isabel one thing before giving in to her wishes.  “What if it was your baby?”  What if someone – inexplicably – had taken your baby girl from you and she had survived a treacherous boat ride at sea, but then been kept  from you.  I want to hope that plea might have swayed Isabel’s decision, but I would have loved to see that reaction.


How about you?  What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment