Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Scarlet: Review

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)


By Marissa Meyer

Oh my, y’all!  I flew through this Lunar Chronicles second edition.  I had it lying on my lap to read while baby M was falling to sleep.  I found a way to prop it in my recliner while she was taking a bottle.  I could not put this one down!

It even snuck up on me that Scarlet is a Little Red Riding Hood spin off until a Part II quote made it click.  We will chalk this one up to mommy brain as my own mother who is also reading the series thought it was pretty obvious.

This picture is classic image of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf. I chose this picture because it represent typical imagery in fairy tales. The young, innocent looking white girl going up against a bigger, badder, scarier creature.
Source

Here’s what I loved about the second – which in my opinion was even better than the first!  There were elements Meyer introduced in the first novel subtly that became big deal plot lines in the second.  I love that kind of sneaky plot ability. 

For example, in the first novel Meyer brushes on the wolf beast army Levana has created.  In the second novel, it plays a huge part.  And – hopefully no surprise – it plays off the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood.  Adorable!

"Red Riding Hood - Peace Offering" Art Print by Budi Satria Kwan on Society6.:
Source

This novel is definitively the second chronological book in the series even though Meyer also introduces vignettes to supplement the series that I have not yet read.  It continues Cinder’s story while adding Scarlet’s story.  While the series is still written at a young adult reading level, the characters are swoon worthy and the plot development made it nearly impossible to fit in a non-Lunar book before starting Cress, the third novel in the series.

If you had any interest in Cinder, go get this one right away!

little red riding hood ~ be my valentine
Source


Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment