Tuesday, December 22, 2015

First Frost: Recommendations

The Bean Trees (Greer Family, #1)


The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
I am amazed at Kingsolver's ability to write such widely varied types of stories with different writing styles to boot.  The Bean Trees is another feel good, wholesome novel where the characters find a place to fit in this hectic, crazy world we live in.  Just because you like The Bean Trees is no true reflection on liking The Poisonwood Bible (one of my and my husband's favorites), Prodigal Summer, or The Lacuna.  Each are so different it feels as if a different author wrote each one of them.

Where the Heart Is


Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
This book reminds me a lot of The Bean Trees.  This was also the first book I picked up that was an Oprah's Book Club pick.  To me, this novel is a lot richer than First Frost, but it has that same comforting factor.

Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #1)

Anything by Adriana Trigiani
I go through phases where I will read everything new she has written like a lifetime movie addiction and then promptly lose interest.  All of her novels - that I have currently read - are family, feel good reads.

Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)

Three Sisters Island Trilogy by Nora Roberts
I went through a Nora Roberts phase a good 10 years ago while I was likewise going through a Romance phase.  I read a lot of Romance novels and a lot of Nora Roberts' novels.  Some were good, most were lukewarm, and some were complete trash.  I still read them.  This series and The Reef are the only ones that stick out in my mind by Nora Roberts.  This was a good series that has the magical element that we see in First Frost with the added Romance element.

Home Safe



Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg
This was another novel I read right after giving birth to my first little 14 weeks ago.  I needed something easy to read, easy to keep up with, and feel good.  This novel delivered on all those counts.

What feel good novels have you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment