Thursday, December 17, 2015

Favorite Young Adult Series

Song of the Lioness Series by Tamora Pierce

I was at our city's best used bookstore a few weeks ago looking for Christmas gift gems.  In particular I was trying to hunt down something for an almost middle school girl and my husband.  I had no luck on the husband front, although he did which means I still got his Christmas presents taken care of.

I was perusing the young adult books considering how comfortable I was giving a young girl a book on reputation alone.  After all, I haven't read very many middle grade or young adult books, and a used book store - even an awesome one - is limited in options.  Then God took care of it for me - as he tends to do when I just leave myself open to any possibility.

Alanna from the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce:
Source
When I was about the same age as this young girl I was shopping for, my sister found this series by Tamora Pierce.  At the time, I was immersed in the worlds of John Grisham and Michael Crichton.  Yes, I was a weird kid.  This was one of the first young adult books that caught my attention and utter devotion.  I had completely forgotten about them as it's been 15 plus years since I've read them and life is crazy right now.

When I happened upon the 2nd and 3rd of these series at the bookstore, I knew this was the gift I had to give.  I immediately scooped them up and ordered the 1st and 4th on amazon.

The King's Champion Sir Alanna The Lioness of Trebond and Olau, The Woman Who Rides Like A Man of the Bloody Hawk (with Faithful, her Goddess-given cat) FROM THE SONG OF THE LIONESS QUARTET
Source

This first series of Pierce's - by far my favorite - is an adventure tale of a young lady in a fantasy land with knights, wizards, and castles who is slotted into a role that she refuses to accept.  Instead of attending a lady finishing school, she trades places with her twin brother to attend warrior training while he goes on to wizard school.  Her adventures and travel were magical to me, and I have put these books on a list to re-read if I ever get around to re-reading anything.

Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)

Immortals Series by Tamora Pierce

This is Pierce's second series which is almost as good.  I continued to read Pierce's novels for a few novels after this series, but they were not nearly as well done as these two debut series.

While I love the Song of the Lioness series for the strong, stubborn woman I wished I would have been, I love the Immortal Series for who I actually am.  The main young lady character has a special gift with animals.  She was so much like me that I likewise devoured this series as well.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

Enough said.

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)

The Grisha Series by Leigh Bardugo

I have recently read this series which actually reminded me a great deal of the Song of the Lioness series.  This series also boasts a strong heroine, but she is forced into her powerful position rather than taking it by force.  This series also has a slightly more science fiction feel than the Song of the Lioness series, but if liked one, you'll enjoy the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment