Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Cinder: Book Club

In Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Prince Kai is being pressured by the Lunar Queen to marry and make an advantageous alliance between the countries.  Prince Kai is still a teenager.  I cannot remember a specific age being mentioned, but Cinder and her step sisters are all portrayed as teenagers and wards of their mother as well.

Cinder ("Cinder" by Marissa Meyer) as Cinderella:
Source

I was not thrilled about this theme of teenage marriage.  Please rest assured this is not a spoiler.  The pressure of marriage in this first book got me considering how common this scenario is in young adult literature.

After all, we see Bella in twilight not only marry as a teenager but have a child.  The Selection by Kiera Cass is another Cinderella and possibly Bachelor spin off centering around marrying off the Prince through a Selection of the local teenage girls.

Twilight Inspired: Edward and Bella married under an arch of wisteria and freesia.
Source

While I can appreciate and would expect romance to play a significant role in most young adult fiction as it is a significant interest to teenagers, I worry about the glamorization these particular novels are portraying.

I enjoy the stories, and I can appreciate their fancifulness but would I hand them to my daughter to read?  I don’t know.

Holding hands is a promise to one another that for just a moment, the two of you don’t have to face the world alone. #lovequotes #relationshipquotes
Source


What do you think?  Are you concerned with overly romanticizing teenage marriage and pregnancy in young adult fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment